The Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth has appointed eight new council members and re-appointed 11 current council members to the National Arts Council for a two-year term, with effect from Sept 1.
The 19-member board is led by current chairman Professor Chan Heng Chee, Ambassador-at-Large at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The new members are:
- Dr Meira Chand, writer;
- Mr Richard Hoo, deputy chief executive officer of the Urban Redevelopment Authority;
- Mr Pierre Lorinet, chief financial officer and managing director of Asia-Pacific Trafigura Pte Ltd;
- Mr Sim Gim Guan, chief executive officer of the National Council of Social Service;
- Mr Sum Yee Loong, professor of Accounting (Practice) at Singapore Management University;
- Mr Wilson Tan, chief executive officer of CapitaLand Mall Trust Management Limited;
- Mr Alvin Tay, editor at The Business Times; and
- Mr Wu Hsioh Kwang, executive chairman of Straco Corporation Limited.
The board members who have been re-appointed include Ms Claire Chiang, senior vice-president of Banyan Tree Holdings; Ms Chong Siak Ching, chief executive officer of the National Gallery Singapore; and Mr Alvin Tan, artistic director of The Necessary Stage.
Ms Yeoh Chee Yan, permanent secretary at the culture ministry, thanked the members who served on the council's board in a press statement: "They have supported the growth of the vibrant and multifaceted arts scene we enjoy in Singapore today."
She added: "The new Council comes in at an exciting time for the arts in Singapore and the new members bring with them diverse experiences which will help make the arts an integral part of life in Singapore."