FAQ for The Straits Times iPhone and iPad App
1. What happens if the application keeps on crashing?
- Close the application by clicking the button of your iOS device once
- Double click on the button to bring up the multi-tasking view
- Locate the icon and tap until the icon jiggles
- Kill the multi-tasking for the application by tapping on the on the icon
- End the process by tapping the main screen and launch the application again
2. What happens if the articles are not updated and still showing the previous day’s news?
- Sometimes this happens when your application is not refreshed. We suggest you try the steps above.
3. At what time does the news goes live daily?
- The news for the day will be updated at 6.30am SG time.
4. In the iPad application, how do I navigate to the home page when I’m in the home page of the Breaking News section?
- Click on the icon located at the top right hand corner of the page.
- You will then be navigated to the home page.
5. How do I navigate to other sections when I’m in the iPad Edition?
- If your screen is currently showing a full view of an article, click on the button located at the top right hand corner of the page.
- You will then be navigated to the landing page of the articles in the particular section (Life, Sports, etc.) you are viewing. There will be a navigation bar at the bottom of the page, which has 4 icons with texts beneath; Home, Sections, PDF Edition and Breaking News. You may then proceed with your selection by just a click away.
6. How do I navigate to other section when PDF Edition?
- If your screen is currently showing a full view of a PDF click on the button located at the top left hand corner of the page.
- You will then be navigated to the landing page of the PDFs with a variety of different sections
- There will be a navigation bar at the top of the page, which has 3 icons on the left side.
The furthest left would be the Home icon, followed by Breaking News icon, then the iPad Edition icon.
- You may then proceed with your selection by just clicking on the respective icons.
7. How do I manage my Straits Times subscriptions and auto-renewal on my iPad?
- Go to the App store
- Tap on the icon and scroll down to the very bottom of the page
- Tap on your account name at the bottom left and choose ‘View Account’ from the choices on the popover that appears. You will need to enter your account password at this stage.
- On the account screen, scroll a little way down to the Subscriptions section and tap on the bar.
- On the next screen, you will be able to view your existing subscription plans or turn auto-renewal on or off on them.
8. Am I able to log in using the same user ID to more than one device?
- Yes, but there is a limitation to the number of users logged into an account. Only a maximum of 2 concurrent devices are allowed to use the same account at any point of time. Else, you will have issues signing in successfully. Remember to log out after each session.
9. I have more than 2 devices in a household. I have logged out from one device and tried accessing the application through another device. However, my access was denied due to 2 devices accessing the application. How do I resolve this issue if I ever wish to access ST through different devices?
- Launch the application from any of the 2 devices that were used to login previously.
- Go to "Settings"
- Under “ST Digital Access”, select the option “Devices” and you will see the option as seen below.
- The name “Fizah Ramle” displayed right next to the “Logout” button indicates the other device data (2nd device), which I am currently accessing at the same time with the 1st device.
- You can “force” Log out the account for the other device (2nd device), which is in our record/database by clicking on the “Logout” button. This will clear our record/database of your 2nd device.
- You can now log in to the 3rd device. If your Login is successful you’ll see the prompt as shown below.
10. How do I push notifications when news is available to my iPhone?
- You are able to push notifications for the Breaking News on your iPhone based on setting the keywords option by going to settings
- Under Settings, click on "Keywords" option as seen in the screenshot above
- Once in the "Keywords" option, you will be able to see as such (screenshot above). Click on the "+" icon to enter keywords you may wish to subscribe to push the notifications, e.g. Manchester United.
11. How do I turn off notifications from The Straits Times Application?
- You may completely disable all notifications received from the application by executing the steps provided below:
- Go to your iPhone Settings
- Select Notifications
- Search for "Straits Times"
- Slide to the 'OFF' option under the 'Notification Center' tab
11. In iPad Breaking News, how do I view more articles in a particular tab or section (Latest, Singapore, etc)?
- There is an scrolling bar located at the left side of the article, which you can click on individually to have a full view of the respective articles. The lighter shade of the individual boxes indicates that you are currently viewing it.
12. In iPad Breaking News, how do I view articles from other sections?
- Click on the individual grey tab, which represents different sections
- You can view the weather forecast for the day by clicking on the weather icon at the top left hand corner of the page.
- You can view the stock exchange updates by clicking on the stock icon at the top right hand corner of the page.
14. Why don’t I see Digital Life or Urban section in this edition?
- Currently our application does not include Digital Life or Urban section in this edition. You may wish to view them in the PDF Edition instead.
15. How do I skip to other sections without having to swipe through the articles in the current section, which I am viewing?
- There is navigation black bar located at the bottom of the page, which shows 4 icons; Home, Sections, PDF Edition, Breaking News. Do click on the icon showing “Sections” and make your respective selection.
16. Additional Information
- When you are at the landing page of the article in a particular section (Prime, World, etc), you can tap on the article to view it in full page.
- When you are already viewing a particular article, to view the next and so on, you need not click on the “Close” icon, which will navigate you to the landing page of other articles. Simply swipe to either left or right to view previous or the next article respectively.
- You can choose to enlarge the text of an article simply by clicking on the icon (right side) and decrease it by clicking on the icon (left side).
- Some articles have multiple photos. Look out for the small orange icon at the top right hand corner of the photo. Swipe left or right to view the previous or next photo.
17. What happens if you have problem downloading the PDFs? e.g. There are missing PDFs and thumbnails as well.
- You need to re-launch the application again. We suggest you to try these steps
- Launch the application
- Go to
- Select “Cache” and swipe to delete the PDF editions that is having problem.
- Close the application by pressing the button of the iPad.
- Double click on the button to bring up the multi-tasking view.
- Locate the ST icon and tap until the icons jiggle. Kill the multi-tasking for the application by tapping on the sign on the icon.
- Click back the button twice to go back to the normal desktop.
18. Why don’t I see Recruit or Classifieds PDFs in this edition?
- Currently our application does not include these 2 sections.
19. Additional Information
- You may wish to view the PDFs in a clean, plain textual article, which is free from ads (very much alike to the iPad Edition except that there is no photos), simply by clicking on the icon located at the top right hand corner of the page.
- You may wish to view other articles by clicking on the individual boxes of the scrolling bar located at the left side of the article in a particular section (Prime, World, etc.). The lighter shade of the individual boxes indicates that you are currently viewing it.
- You may skip to other sections (Prime, World, etc.) by clicking on the icon located at the top right hand corner of the page.
- Please note that Digital Life and Urban sections are not included in this feature as well. If you wish to read these two sections, you may view them only in the PDF Edition.
- If you may wish to skip to other pages or sections (Life, Urban, etc.) while viewing a particular PDF, you may not need to “close” it which will navigate you to the landing page of the PDFs and its sections. Click on the “white arrow pointing upwards” icon located at the bottom of the PDF you are currently viewing instead and a black scroll bar with small thumbnail of the PDFs will appear. You may then choose the PDF you wish to view.
- Alternatively, you can email to email@example.com for feedback and suggestions in improvising our application further.
- If you need further help or have queries, you may :
- Launch the application
- Go to
- Click on bar
- Email to us information as detailed as possible in the areas, which you need help in, or queries, which we could answer for you to clear your doubts in the space provided.
- Click on once you are done
- Our team will assist in returning to your emails as soon as possible.