WRITER OF THE WEEK

Sim Lim Onn: Wishing Singapore success and prosperity for SG100

Mr Sim Lim Onn with his wife and son. The permanent resident's wish for Singapore is that it stays competitive and prosperous. -- PHOTO: COURTESY OF SIM LIM ONN

WHO: Sim Lim Onn, 48, a section manager in a multinational corporation in the semi-conductor industry.

MY FAMILY: Married to Wun Ju Sing, 46, an accountant, with a nine-year-old son, Mark.

MY HOME: A small apartment in King's Arcade, off Bukit Timah Road.

MY PASSIONS: Reading the newspaper, listening to the radio, watching TV, window shopping and walking after meals.

I STARTED WRITING TO THE FORUM PAGE IN...: 2008.

WHAT I WRITE ABOUT: Topics that have an impact on Singapore's sustainability, especially about aligning our mindset and appreciating what we have today.

WHY I WRITE: I am a permanent resident from Malaysia and have been living in Singapore for the last 27 years. My wife and son were born in Singapore and are Singaporeans. Singapore is part of me now. I would like to contribute my ideas to ensure that the country continues to be successful.

I READ THE FORUM PAGE BECAUSE...: It allows me to see how Singaporeans react to different social issues and government policies.

MY WISH FOR SINGAPORE: Singapore is a country without natural resources, and with various constraints - for example, market constraints due to its small population, and land constraints as it's just a small red dot. Yet Singapore has managed remarkable achievements and has transformed itself from a kampung 50 years ago to one of the top cities in the world today.
I hope Singapore will continue to be competitive and prosperous, and that when our children celebrate SG100, Singapore will have the same success.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.