Much has been said about personal mobility device users and how they are perceived to be a danger to those on footpaths.
I would like to make some suggestions on how safety can be improved:
- Electric unicycles, e-scooters, and e-bicycles should be used only on cycling paths, and not footpaths.
- Every one of these devices should have a licence plate displayed prominently on it.
- Each rider needs to purchase liability insurance.
- Set a minimum age of 16 years for riders.
- Have the traffic police on duty near MRT stations to issue summonses to riders who breach these rules.
In any country, the safety of the people must be of paramount importance. In the hands of poorly disciplined riders, an e-scooter is a killing machine.
Esther Chin Siew Lan (Ms)