Voices Of Youth

What 2015 taught me about S'pore

This year has been an eventful one for all Singaporeans ("SG2015: Insight and hindsight"; Sunday). Here are some things that I have learnt:  

When founding prime minister Lee Kuan Yew died earlier this year, many nostalgic sentiments surfaced as both official and personal narratives were shared.

It is sometimes difficult for young people to comprehend the arduous journey that our ancestors had to go through to build such a strong and beautiful nation. However, Mr Lee's death truly brought out the best in all Singaporeans, as we united to reflect on this transformative voyage towards a cosmopolitan city that we are proud to call home.

This year has also enlightened me on the diverse political landscape that exists in Singapore. It was interesting how politics brought my friends and me together as we attended the different political parties' rallies and discussed the 2015 General Election results.

Lastly, the celebration of our country's golden jubilee has taught me to be more patriotic.

I was immensely proud of the amount of effort that our Government and people put in to commemorate our 50 years of independence.

So, despite our geographical size, when it comes to Singapore, the biggest things do come in small packages.  

Ashley Tan Yu Yi, 15, Secondary 3 student

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on December 23, 2015, with the headline 'Voices Of Youth'. Print Edition | Subscribe