Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014
Digital Life
 

Google gets 12,000 requests to be 'forgotten' on first day

Published on May 31, 2014 8:02 PM
 
A Google search page is reflected in sunglasses in this photo illustration taken in Brussels on May 30, 2014. Google received 12,000 requests from people seeking to be "forgotten" by the world's leading search engine on the first day it offered the service, a company spokesman in Germany said Saturday. -- PHOTO: REUTERs

BERLIN (AFP) - Google received 12,000 requests from people seeking to be "forgotten" by the world's leading search engine on the first day it offered the service, a company spokesman in Germany said Saturday.

The requests, submitted on Friday, came after Google set up an online form to allow Europeans to request the removal of results about them from Internet searches.

The number confirms earlier estimates given by the German daily Der Spiegel and reported in other media.

Earlier in May the European Court of Justice ruled that individuals have the right to have links to information about them deleted from searches in certain circumstances, such as if the data is outdated or inaccurate.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here