Domino's Pizza refuses to cave in to hackers' extortion attempt
Published on Jun 18, 2014 7:17 AM
PARIS (AFP) - Domino’s Pizza said on Tuesday it had refused to cave in to a 30,000-euro (S$50,940) extortion attempt by hackers who said they had stolen the personal data of 600,000 of its customers.
The pizza delivery giant told affected French and Belgian clients on Friday that it had been hacked into and that “some passwords” had been taken, giving those behind the attack access to data such as phone numbers and addresses, though not to bank details.
That same day, a hacking group called Rex Mundi tweeted on an account that has since been deleted that it had given the US chain until 1800 GMT Monday to pay 30,000 euros in exchange for not publishing the data.
But a spokesperson for Domino’s Pizza told AFP on Tuesday the US group had not paid the money, refusing “to yield to blackmail from any form of criminal organisation”. It is not yet known whether the hackers have published the data.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here