Yemen denies child bride death on wedding night
SANAA (AFP) - Yemeni authorities denied on Tuesday the reported death of a child bride on her wedding night, presenting to reporters a girl who claimed she was eight-year-old Rawan and never married.
Last week, the government said it was investigating reports that a child bride had died from injuries suffered on the first night of her marriage to a man in his 40s.
The reports that Rawan, 8, suffered a brutal death triggered an international outcry and a flood of calls demanding that Yemen ban marriages to child brides.
On Saturday, Rights Minister Huriya Mashhoor told AFP she would press for the minimum age for marriage to be raised to 18.