Vatican receives 600 abuse cases a year: Prosecutor
Published on Feb 6, 2013 5:51 AM
VATICAN CITY (AFP) - The Vatican's new chief prosecutor against clerical child abuse on Tuesday said his office was receiving around 600 new cases a year, many of them dating back to the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
Father Robert Oliver, a canon law specialist who previously worked at the archdiocese of Boston in the United States (US) where abuse cases came to light a decade ago, was appointed in December.
Fr Oliver, whose official title is "promoter of justice" for the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, said the peak in reported cases was in 2004 with 800 denunciations.
He said he would follow the example of Pope Benedict XVI in calling for more assistance to victims of abuse and promising zero tolerance against abusers.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!