US raids: Snatched Al-Qaeda suspect a near unknown in homeland Libya
TRIPOLI (AFP) - Abu Anas al-Libi, the Al-Qaeda suspect seized in Libya over the 1998 bombings of American embassies in east Africa, is almost unknown in his homeland where he kept a low profile.
The United States had been hunting Libi - real name Nazih Abdul Hamed al-Raghie - for 13 years for his alleged key role in the deadly attacks on the embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. With a US$5 million (S$6.2 million)) bounty on his head, Libi, 49, was on the Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) "Most Wanted Terrorists" list. He was snatched in Tripoli in broad daylight early on Saturday, and the Pentagon said he was being "lawfully detained under the law of war in a secure location" outside Libya.
A source close to Libi said he returned to Libya at the beginning of the uprising against Moamer Kadhafi in February 2011, battling alongside rebels seeking to topple the dictator. The married father-of-four lost one of his sons, killed by Kadhafi loyalists during the operation to seize the capital from regime forces in October 2011, the source said.
His family returned to Libya before him in 2010 as part of an initiative launched by Kadhafi's son Seif al-Islam. After the uprising, Libi kept a low profile, the relative said. He had not been working, and only left the house to go to the mosque, dressing in the Afghan style of radical Islamists.