US names veteran diplomat to man post in Libya
Published on Oct 12, 2012 12:15 AM
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The United States on Thursday named a new charge d'affaires to Libya following the murder of ambassador Chris Stevens in last month's militant attack on the US consulate in Benghazi.
Veteran diplomat and Arabic speaker Laurence Pope had already arrived in Tripoli, State Department spokesman Victoria Nuland said in a statement.
His appointment "emphasises the commitment of the United States to the relationship between our two countries and to the people of Libya as they move forward in their transition to a democratic government", Ms Nuland said.
"We will continue to assist as Libya builds democratic institutions and broad respect for the rule of law - the goals that Ambassador Stevens worked hard to achieve."
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!