US journalist says he's been banned from Russia after reporting on Ukraine EU protests
Published on Jan 14, 2014 11:06 AM
WASHINGTON (AFP) - An American journalist said on Monday he had been banned from Russia after he reported on mass protests against Ukraine's scrapping of an European Union pact.
The United States Embassy in Moscow has been informed of the move against David Satter and has lodged a formal diplomatic protest, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty president and chief executive Kevin Klose said. It has sought and not obtained an explanation from the Russian authorities.
The move, coming on the eve of the Sochi Winter Olympics next month, was likely to further strain already tense ties between Washington and Moscow. It was one of the first cases of a US journalist barred from Russia since the Cold War.
"I was told that my presence in Russia in the view of the security organs was undesirable. Other than that, no reasons were given," Mr Satter told AFP via an e-mail from London. "My belongings are in Moscow where I have an apartment. But without permission to enter the country, I cannot retrieve them. I would like to return to Moscow to work but cannot do so without a visa."
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here