Monday, Sep 22, 2014Monday, Sep 22, 2014
News
 

US charges suspect over Chinese consulate arson attack

Published on Jan 7, 2014 1:55 PM
 

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - US investigators have arrested a Chinese-born man over an arson attack on China's consulate in San Francisco which triggered strong protest from Beijing, officials and reports said on Monday.

Yan Feng, 39, who lives south of the city, surrendered to police on Friday and has been charged with criminal offences including causing damage to a diplomatic mission, said the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

According to an affidavit, he "detonated incendiary or explosive devices in the vicinity of the front entrance of the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco on Jan 1, causing significant property damage," said an FBI statement.

The Chinese native, who is a permanent US resident, told federal agents that he was driven not by politics but by "voices he had been hearing", according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here