Two dead, hundreds evacuated in flood-hit French Riviera
Published on Jan 20, 2014 6:56 AM
HYERES, France (AFP) - Two people were killed on Sunday and more than 150 had to be airlifted to safety after floods struck south-eastern France, local authorities said.
A third man disappeared while out on his boat and 4,000 homes have been left without power after the inundations in the department of Var, they said.
Local official Laurent Cayrel said one of the victims, a 73-year-old man, died in his basement, while the other was swept away in his car.
"The situation is very worrying, and it's not going to get any better tonight (Sunday)," he said, adding that there had been "record rainfall".
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!