Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014
News
 

Thousands isolated by Australian floodwaters

Published on Feb 24, 2013 11:31 AM
 
 A man uses a spa cover to move a TV set through floodwaters at Cornubia, Queensland January 29, 2013. Massive summer floods have killed four people and forced thousands of people to evacuate their homes across Australian states of Queensland and New South Wales, according to local authorities. Picture taken on January 29, 2013. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

SYDNEY (AFP) - Thousands of people on Australia's east coast were cut off by floodwaters on Sunday, with the heavy rain claiming two lives as extreme thunderstorms damaged homes and brought down trees in Sydney.

State Emergency Services (SES) said the Macleay River peaked lower than had been forecast in the northern New South Wales town of Kempsey, 350km north of Sydney, and the town appeared to have escaped major flooding.

But the north coast region, including the towns of Port Macquarie and Taree, remained under close watch along with the Hawkesbury-Nepean area west of Sydney.

"In most other areas floodwaters are falling," State Emergency Services said in a statement.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here