Syria opposition says no peace talks until Hezbollah, Iran halt 'invasion'
Published on May 30, 2013 8:25 PM
ISTANBUL (AFP) - Syria's main opposition group said on Thursday that it will not take part in proposed US-Russia peace talks while key allies of President Bashar al-Assad's regime are waging war alongside government forces.
"The National Coalition will not take part in any international conference or any such efforts so long as the militias of Iran and Hezbollah continue their invasion of Syria," the opposition's acting chief George Sabra told reporters in Istanbul.
It has taken the divided opposition meeting in Istanbul a week to find common ground on the so-called Geneva 2 peace conference proposed by Moscow and Washington.
The group has previously said it was open in principle to any peace initiatives.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here