Syria army behind chemical attack: Human Rights Watch
NEW YORK CITY (AFP) - Syrian government forces were most likely to blame for the deadly chemical weapons attack last month which left hundreds dead, Human Rights Watch said on Tuesday.
A 22-page report issued by the US rights watchdog concluded that available evidence "strongly suggests" that President Bashar al-Assad's military carried out the strike.
Human Rights Watch issued its findings after analysing witness accounts of the rocket attacks in Ghouta on Aug 21, information on the likely source of the attacks, physical debris from weapons used, and the victims' medical symptoms.
"Rocket debris and symptoms of the victims from the August 21 attacks on Ghouta provide telltale evidence about the weapons systems used," said HRW emergencies director Peter Bouckaert.