Wednesday, May 27, 2015Wednesday, May 27, 2015
News
 

Spain patient gets pneumonia by e-cigarettes: hospital

Published on Mar 14, 2014 5:19 AM
 

MADRID (AFP) - A patient in Spain caught pneumonia from smoking an electronic cigarette too much, the second ever recorded case of lung illness from the devices, the hospital treating him said Thursday.

The patient, identified by media as a man aged 50, was admitted in the northwestern city of A Coruna for a separate illness and came down with the lung complaint while there, a source at the hospital told AFP.

"He was diagnosed with exogenous lipoid pneumonia caused by an excessive use of electronic cigarette," said the source at the A Coruna University Hospital, who asked not be named.

The disease was caused by a vegetable-based ingredient in the replaceable cartridges that produce the vapour for inhalation, the source added.

 
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!