South African's Qaeda kidnappers 'will not execute him'
Published on Feb 8, 2014 8:49 PM
SANAA (AFP) - Al-Qaeda militants who kidnapped a South African teacher in Yemen last year will not execute him despite their deadline for receiving US$3 million (S$3.8 million) in ransom expiring on Saturday, a mediator said.
Mr Pierre Korkie, 56, was abducted along with his wife in Yemen's second city Taiz in May by members of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
Mr Korkie's wife Yolande was freed last month with the help of the mediator from one of Yemen's powerful tribes and returned home.
Mr Korkie, who is in poor health, "is still alive and the prospect of his being executed is excluded," the mediator told AFP, adding that he was in contact with the kidnappers.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here