Friday, Jul 25, 2014Friday, Jul 25, 2014
News
 

Security tight at Boston Marathon bomb anniversary, but risks remain

Published on Mar 14, 2014 7:08 PM
 

BOSTON (Reuters) - Even as the police prepare for a massive presence at Boston's first marathon since the 2013 bombing attack that killed three people and injured 264, officials acknowledge the sheer scale of the event poses inevitable security risks.

More than 3,500 officers will be stationed along the 42.2km course starting in suburban Hopkinton, Massachusetts, and ending among throngs of spectators at the bars and restaurants of Boylston Street, where two homemade pressure-cooker bombs ripped through the crowd last year.

While officials said they are not aware of any specific threat to the 118th Boston Marathon, one of the world's most prestigious races, they face a challenge of increasing security without taking a stance that is so aggressive it drives spectators away, security experts said.

"The police have to walk a delicate line between trying to convey to people that they are safe and not sending the message that, because of the militarised presence, they have something to fear," said Mr Tom Nolan, a former Boston Police Department official who now serves as chairman of the criminal justice department at the State University of New York at Plattsburgh.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here