Search begins for 2 bodies still missing from wrecked Italy cruise ship
ROME (AFP) - The search for two bodies still missing 20 months after Italy's Costa Concordia cruise ship tragedy began on Tuesday off the island of Giglio, Italy's civil protection agency said.
Salvage workers who pulled the doomed vessel upright from its watery grave last week in an unprecedented operation "have ensured the ship is secure and given the green light to begin the search", a spokesman said.
"Specialist divers from the coastguard, fire brigade and police have begun scouring the area between the righted ship and the land," she added.
The team is looking for the corpses of Italian passenger Maria Grazia Tricarichi and crew member Russel Rebello, whose bodies were not recovered after the nightime disaster on January 13, 2012, which left 32 people dead.