Salvadoran castaway released from hospital
Published on Feb 19, 2014 6:24 AM
SAN SALVADOR (AFP) - The Salvadoran fisherman who says he survived 13 months adrift in the Pacific was released from a hospital on Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014, after a week-long stay, but his destination was kept secret.
"I'm doing well, thank you very much," Mr Jose Salvador Alvarenga told reporters as he walked out of hospital near San Salvador with the health minister and a nurse holding his arms.
Mr Alvarenga had been expected to return to his family's coastal village of Garita Palmera after he returned to his homeland last week following an odyssey that had taken him from Mexico to the Marshall Islands.
But the 37-year-old, who according to doctors has developed a phobia of the sea, told reporters: "I don't want to return to Garita Palmera."
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!