Report on decline in Taleban attacks wrong: US
Published on Feb 27, 2013 6:11 AM
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The United States (US)-led force in Afghanistan has incorrectly reported a decline in Taleban attacks in the country, officials said Tuesday, casting doubts on North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (Nato)'s claims of progress in the war.
Officials said a reported seven percent decrease in "enemy-initiated attacks" for the whole of 2012 was wrong and insurgent attacks were roughly the same as the previous year.
The incorrect figure had been posted on the website of Nato's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).
The US government and its allies have repeatedly touted a purported drop in insurgent attacks as proof that the Taleban is on the retreat. But the error in the key statistic raised questions about how governments and commanders are portraying the war effort.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!