Sunday, Oct 26, 2014Sunday, Oct 26, 2014
 

Relief convoy for 100,000 Darfur displaced: UN

Published on Feb 3, 2013 9:45 PM
 

KHARTOUM (AFP) - A convoy carrying blankets, water and other supplies began a days-long journey on Sunday to deliver emergency assistance in Sudan's Darfur where about 100,000 people have been affected by recent violence, the UN said.

"We have sent out a further 100 metric tonnes of assistance," said Damian Rance, of the United Nations humanitarian agency (OCHA).

"It started rolling this morning, I believe." Amnesty International says Sudanese security officers were reportedly involved in the gold mining-related attacks earlier this month that killed up to 200 people and led to the massive displacement across a wide area of North Darfur state's Jebel Amir district.

Rance said the number displaced or severely affected in this one incident is close to the figure for those displaced throughout Darfur all last year.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here