Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014
News
 

Prince Harry moved to safety after Afghan attack

Published on Sep 18, 2012 11:56 AM
 
Britain's Prince Harry examines the 30mm cannon of an Apache helicopter upon his arrival at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan, on September 7, 2012. -- PHOTO: AFP

LONDON (AFP) - Prince Harry was moved under guard to a secure location during a Taleban attack on Camp Bastion, the base where he is deployed in Afghanistan, Britain's defence minister has said.

Two United States Marines were killed and unprecedented material damage caused when attackers armed with guns, rockets and suicide vests stormed the Nato base in Helmand province last Friday.

"Additional security arrangements" are in place to protect Britain's third in line to the throne on his second tour of duty in the country, Philip Hammond told BBC's Newsnight on Monday when questioned about the assault.

"Clearly there are fall-back plans and I can't go into the detail of them - but once we knew on Friday night that the perimeter at Bastion had been breached he would have been moved to a secure position under effective guard," he said.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here