Thursday, May 28, 2015Thursday, May 28, 2015
News
 

PM to stay as Lebanon reels over blast, Syria accused

Published on Oct 20, 2012 10:42 PM
 
Lebanon's Prime Minister Najib Mikati speaks during a news conference at the Presidential palace in Baabda, near Beirut, October 20, 2012. Mikati said on Saturday he had been asked by the president to stay in his post as fear and anger over the assassination of Brigadier-General Wissam al-Hassan, a senior intelligence chief opposed to the Syrian leadership, gripped the country. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

BEIRUT (AFP) - Lebanon's prime minister, under intense political flak over a car bombing that killed a senior security official, said on Saturday that he would stay on after the president said it would be in the national interest.

Prime Minister Najib Mikati spoke after an urgent Cabinet meeting discussed the Friday bombing in Beirut that killed at least three people, and wounded scores and has been blamed on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

In Damascus, meanwhile, United Nations-Arab League peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi pressed Syria for a ceasefire during the four-day Eid al-Adha Muslim holiday starting on Oct 26, which he believes could pave the way for other, more permanent peace initiatives.

But even as he began talks with Foreign Minister Walid Muallem, fighting raged on in northern battlefields, where regime jets resumed bombarding the key town of Maaret al-Numan which rebels captured on Oct 9.

 
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!