Peace meet cancelled over deaths: Palestinian official
RAMALLAH, Palestinian Territories (AFP) - Israeli-Palestinian peace talks slated for Monday were scrapped after three Palestinians were shot dead in the West Bank, a Palestinian official said, although the US sponsors of the process denied the report.
"The meeting that was to take place in Jericho ... today was cancelled because of the Israeli crime committed in Qalandiya," he told AFP, referring to a West Bank camp where the three were shot dead in clashes with Israeli troops.
But the US State Department, which is mediating the talks, insisted that no meeting planned as part of the ongoing peace process had been cancelled.
"I can assure you that no meeting has been cancelled," State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf told reporters in Washington. The Palestinian official, who declined to be named, did not set a new date for talks, while Ms Harf refused to say whether or not any meeting had actually taken place.