No US plans to cut off Egypt military aid yet: US Defence Secretary Hagel
JERUDONG, Brunei (AFP) - Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said on Wednesday that he opposes cutting off US military aid to Egypt but vowed Washington would keep pressing for "reconciliation" in the country.
The United States earlier this month condemned Egyptian security forces for firing on protesters backing ousted president Mohamed Mursi, in a crackdown that left nearly 1,000 people dead.
"The interim government has to get back on the path to reconciliation, stop the violence, put Egypt back on the path of economic, democratic reform," Mr Hagel said in an interview with the BBC aired on Wednesday.
"Now do you do that best by cutting off all aid?