'No evidence seen Chris Christie knew of traffic scheme'
Published on Feb 3, 2014 9:23 AM
NEW YORK (REUTERS) - A New Jersey Democrat leading a probe of the bridge traffic scandal that has engulfed Governor Chris Christie said on Sunday he has seen no evidence to support claims that the governor had been aware of the apparently politically motivated traffic jams as they happened.
The remarks by Assemblyman John Wisniewski, who co-leads the probe, came two days after a former Christie appointee at the agency overseeing the bridge who personally oversaw the lane closures said "evidence exists" that Mr Christie had knowledge of the blockage when it happened. If such evidence does exist, a state panel investigating the closures has not yet seen it, Mr Wisniewski said.
Separately on Sunday, Mr Christie's director of intergovernmental affairs, Ms Christina Renna, resigned. Ms Renna's lawyer, Mr Henry Klingeman, confirmed to Reuters that she had resigned, effective Jan 31.
Mr Klingeman also said Ms Renna was among several top aides who have until Monday to respond to subpoenas in the scandal. However, in a statement provided by Mr Klingeman, Ms Renna said she had been considering leaving since shortly after Mr Christie's re-election last fall.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!