Navy Yard shooting: US orders security review at bases worldwide
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The Pentagon says it would review security at US bases worldwide after a defence contractor gunned down 12 people in Washington, as investigators worked to uncover the shooter's motive.
A day after the shooting, officials were struggling to answer how and why 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, a former sailor with a history of disciplinary problems and brushes with the law, had been granted a security clearance.
Alexis opened fire on Monday at the tightly guarded Washington Navy Yard, where he had a valid entry pass, according to the FBI. He eventually died in a shootout with police at the giant compound.
With lawmakers questioning the vetting of contractors, Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel "intends to order a review of physical security and access at all DoD (Department of Defence) installations worldwide," a senior Pentagon official said on Tuesday.