Monday, Apr 21, 2014Monday, Apr 21, 2014
News
 

Komodo dragon dies in San Antonio zoo reptile house fire

Published on Dec 17, 2013 6:23 AM
PRINT EMAIL
 

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (REUTERS) - Six reptiles, including a rare Komodo dragon, were killed on Monday in a fire at the San Antonio Zoo likely caused by an electric problem, zoo officials said.

Zoo staff had to move venomous snakes and reptiles to safety after the fire broke out at the two-floor Komodo House, home to about 100 snakes, lizards and other creatures.

"It was a challenge for the firefighters," San Antonio Fire Department spokeswoman Deborah Foster said.

Firefighters tried to keep water usage to a minimum to avoid drowning the animals.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here