Saturday, Dec 27, 2014Saturday, Dec 27, 2014

News

 

Italy shipwreck captain sues to get his job back

Published on Oct 10, 2012 6:03 PM
 
File photo, the Costa Concordia cruise ship and a mobile floating crane platform are seen from the deck of a ferryboat leaving the Giglio port on September 27, 2012. Francesco Schettino, The captain of the Italian luxury liner is taking ship owner Costa Crociere to court for firing him and is demanding his job back, Italy's Repubblica newspaper said on Wednesday. -- PHOTO: AFP

ROME (AFP) - The captain of an Italian luxury liner which crashed in January is taking ship owner Costa Crociere to court for firing him and is demanding his job back, Italy's Repubblica newspaper said on Wednesday.

Francesco Schettino, who is being investigated for causing the shipwreck which claimed 32 lives and abandoning the Costa Concordia before everyone had been evacuated, was fired by Costa at the end of July, the report said.

"Costa Crociere confirms that it has concluded the disciplinary procedure against Schettino following the Costa Concordia shipwreck, ordering his dismissal," the company, Europe's biggest cruise operator, told Italian media.

The captain, who expects to find out next week whether he will face trial along with eight others for his role in the tragedy, has claimed his actions saved lives and insists Costa reinstate him and hand over back pay.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here