Italian police hunt factory owner after deadly fire
ROME (AFP) - Italian prosecutors said Monday they were hunting for the owner of a Chinese-run garment factory and dormitory where seven workers died in a fire, as the town of Prato declared a day of mourning.
Prato prosecutor Lorenzo Gestri said investigators were looking into possible charges of multiple manslaughter and exploiting illegal labour for both the Italian owner of the factory and the Chinese manager.
"The Prato massacre: the fire has lit up a scene in which jobs are goods and workers are cannon fodder," Nichi Vendola, head of Italy's Left, Ecology and Freedom (LEF) party, said on Twitter.
Investigators have not ruled out that the manager, believed to be a woman, could have died in the fire or be one of the three people wounded, according to Italian media reports. The only body identified so far is that of a Chinese undocumented worker.