Hopes fading with 90 still missing in US landslide
Published on Mar 28, 2014 5:10 AM
DARRINGTON (AFP) - The death toll from the monster US landslide is expected to rise "substantially," somber officials warned Thursday as the scale of the disaster becomes clear with 90 still missing five days on.
The confirmed number of dead stands at 16 with at least eight more bodies believed located after the monster mudslide crashed onto the town of Oso.
But Snohomish County District 21 Fire Chief Travis Hots said bodies were not being included in the official death toll until they had been recovered and "medical officers have done their difficult work."
"You're going to see these numbers increase substantially" in the next day or two, he told reporters.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here