Furnace may be behind deadly blast in Indianapolis
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The owner of one of the homes that exploded in Indianapolis said on Monday that a furnace could be to blame for the blast that killed two people and damaged dozens of homes so severely officials say they must be demolished.
Mr John Shirley, 50, told The Associated Press that his daughter sent him a text message last week complaining that the furnace in the home where she lives with her mother and her mother's boyfriend had gone out and required them to stay at hotel.
But Mr Shirley also said when he asked if the furnace had been fixed, his daughter said yes, and he wasn't aware of any additional problems until he heard from his daughter again Sunday morning. His ex-wife, Monserrate Shirley, declined to comment on Monday.
A spokesman for Citizens Energy gas company said the utility didn't receive any reports about a faulty furnace at the home. But spokesman Sarah Holsapple also said the homeowner wouldn't necessarily report such a problem to the gas company. And if the homeowner hired someone to fix the furnace, that person also wouldn't need to tell the utility.