Monday, Dec 29, 2014Monday, Dec 29, 2014

News

 

Fonterra pleads guilty over botulism scare charges

Published on Mar 13, 2014 9:50 AM
 

WELLINGTON (AFP) - New Zealand dairy giant Fonterra said Thursday it had pleaded guilty to food safety charges brought after a botulism scare last year that prompted global recalls of baby formula.

While the scare turned out to be a false alarm, the Ministry of Primary Industries laid four charges against the company, including exporting a product that did not meet relevant standards and failing to tell authorities about a potential problem as soon as possible.

Fonterra said it would not contest the charges, which each carry a maximum penalty of NZ$500,000 (S$539,510).

"We have entered guilty pleas," Fonterrra spokeswoman Maury Leyland told public radio.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here