Monday, Mar 30, 2015Monday, Mar 30, 2015
News
 

Faulty pipe led to deadly carbon monoxide leak in NY: Official

Published on Feb 24, 2014 6:54 AM
 

NEW YORK (REUTERS) - A broken water heater flue pipe caused a carbon monoxide leak inside a restaurant at a mall on New York's Long Island that killed one person and injured 27, a fire official said on Sunday.

Mr Terence McNally, chief fire marshal for the town of Huntington, said the malfunctioning pipe had allowed for the buildup of the deadly gas on Saturday in the basement of the Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington Station, 65km east of New York City.

A Suffolk County Police Department spokesman said arson and homicide detectives were still examining the leak on Sunday.

She said police were not confirming that the water heater flue pipe was the source of the leak, and that the restaurant's heating system was being inspected.

 
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!