Family sues Monster Energy makers over teen's death
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The family of a 14-year-old Maryland girl is suing the California makers of Monster Energy, alleging on Friday that too much caffeine in the popular energy drink led to her death.
Lawyers said the two 0.7 litre cans of Monster Energy consumed by Anais Fournier in the 24 hours prior to her fatal cardiac arrest in December 2011 contained as much caffeine - 480mg - as 14 340g cans of Coca-Cola.
The ensuing autopsy cited "cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity" as the cause of death.
The family is asking the California Supreme Court for "all damages allowed by law", claiming that Monster Energy should be held responsible for wrongful death for allegedly failing to warn about its product's dangers.