Ex-president Bush Snr rallies, out of intensive care
Published on Dec 30, 2012 6:04 AM
WASHINGTON (AFP) - Former US president George H.W. Bush is on the mend and has been released from intensive care, a spokesman said on Saturday.
"President Bush's condition has improved, so he has been moved today from the intensive care unit to a regular patient room at The Methodist Hospital to continue his recovery," spokesman Jim McGrath said.
"The Bushes thank everyone for their prayers and good wishes." Earlier in the week, Mr McGrath said Mr Bush had taken a turn for the worse, with a "series of setbacks" sending the 88-year-old to the intensive care unit at the Houston, Texas hospital with a "stubborn fever."
Mr Bush, the oldest surviving former US president, was first admitted to the hospital on Nov 7 for bronchitis treatment and released on Nov 19. But he was readmitted four days later after his cough flared up again.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!