Egypt's Mubarak to face trial on new charges of embezzlement
Published on Feb 6, 2014 9:45 PM
CAIRO (AFP) - Ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, in court for alleged incitement to kill protesters and corruption, will also stand trial this month on embezzlement charges, the prosecution said on Thursday.
Mubarak, 85, has remained in a military hospital in Cairo since he was freed from prison in August after the maximum pre-trial detention period expired.
He had been convicted of involvement in the murder of protesters during the 2011 uprising that toppled him, but a court ordered a retrial last year on technical grounds.
The latest charges brought against Mubarak and his two sons Alaa and Gamal involve their alleged embezzlement of 125 million Egyptian pounds (S$23 million) earmarked for presidential palaces, a prosecution official said.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here