Sunday, Apr 19, 2015Sunday, Apr 19, 2015
 

Egypt vows "full force" against Brotherhood

Published on Jan 4, 2014 9:50 PM
 
Egyptians try to extinguish a police vehicle set on fire by Muslim Brotherhood supporters on a ring road in the capital, Cairo, on Jan 3, 2014, as thousands of protesters backing deposed president Mohamed Morsi rallied across the country before police moved in to disperse them, sparking clashes. Egypt vowed on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014, to confront Muslim Brotherhood protests with "full force," as security officials said 17 people had been killed in nationwide clashes the previous day. -- PHOTO: AFP

CAIRO (AFP) - Egypt vowed on Saturday to confront Muslim Brotherhood protests with "full force," as security officials said 17 people had been killed in nationwide clashes the previous day.

The Brotherhood, which demands the reinstatement of ousted president Mohamed Morsi, has organised near-daily protests despite its designation last month as a terrorist organisation.

The designation carries harsh prison sentences for members arrested during demonstrations or leaders of the influential Islamist movement.

"The organisation continues its criminal activities despite its designation as a terrorist group," the interim government, installed by the military following Morsi's overthrow in July, said in a statement.

 
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!