Thursday, Dec 18, 2014Thursday, Dec 18, 2014

News

 

Egypt balloon crash probe rules out criminal activity

Published on Feb 28, 2013 6:36 AM
 
A general view shows the hot air balloon (left) that exploded and plunged to earth, amongst others balloons leaving a launch site near Egypt's ancient temple city of Luxor, prior to the incident on Feb 26, 2013. An initial probe into the crash that killed up to 19 tourists in Egypt has ruled out any criminal action as a cause of the accident, state media said on Wednesday. . -- FILE PHOTO: AFP

LUXOR, Egypt (AFP) - An initial probe into a hot air balloon crash that killed up to 19 tourists in Egypt has ruled out any criminal action as a cause of the accident, state media said on Wednesday.

"Investigations so far by the general prosecution show no suspicion of criminal activity," the official Mena news agency reported, citing the preliminary findings of the investigation.

Four investigating teams were formed after Prime Minister Hisham Qandil ordered a probe into Tuesday's balloon crash in the ancient temple city of Luxor that killed tourists from Hong Kong, Japan, Britain, France and Hungary.

Luxor Governor Saad Ezzat and a delegation of Egyptian officials, as well as tourism industry professionals, visited the scene of the crash where they placed three bouquets of white flowers before observing a minute's silence.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here