Monday, Sep 22, 2014Monday, Sep 22, 2014
News
 

Dutch prosecutors to probe retired top justice official for rape of 2 boys in Turkey

Published on Jan 22, 2014 1:44 AM
 

THE HAGUE (AFP) - Dutch prosecutors are to probe a retired top justice official for allegedly raping two Turkish boys in the 1990s, amid denials there had been a cover-up in the languishing case.

"The court considers... that a criminal investigation is appropriate," the Den Bosch Appeals Court said on Tuesday of the allegations against former justice ministry secretary-general Joris Demmink.

"Until now other investigations have not yielded the desired clarity," the judges said as they reopened a case that had led to international accusations that the Dutch authorities were failing to investigate properly.

Mr Demmink, who was once regarded one of the country's most powerful civil servants, is being investigated over allegations that he raped two Turkish boys aged between 12 and 15 years old while on visits to Istanbul in the mid-1990s.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here