Wednesday, Apr 1, 2015Wednesday, Apr 1, 2015
News
 

Dutch to extradite Rwandan suspected of compiling death lists

Published on Jan 23, 2014 9:23 PM
 

AMSTERDAM (REUTERS) - Dutch authorities said on Thursday they had detained a former Rwandan politician suspected of compiling death lists during the country's 1994 genocide and would send him home for court hearings.

The man, identified as 54-year-old Jean Baptiste M., was formerly the secretary general of the Coalition for the Defence of the Republic (CDR), a far-right Hutu party, a Dutch prosecution statement said.

He faces trial in Rwanda for alleged genocide, arming militias and planning and carrying out attacks against rival Tutsis in Nyakabanda, a neighbourhood on the outskirts of the capital, Kigali.

A Dutch court found last month that suspected participants in the Rwandan genocide, in which 800,000 Tutsi and moderate Hutus were killed, could be extradited for legal proceedings.

 
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!