Doctors warn US teens: Don't take the cinnamon challenge
CHICAGO (AP) - Don't take the cinnamon challenge. That's the advice from doctors in a new report about a dangerous prank depicted in popular YouTube videos which has led to hospitalisations and a surge in calls to US poison centers.
The fad involves daring someone to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon in 60 seconds without water.
But the spice is caustic, and trying to gulp it down can cause choking, throat irritation, breathing trouble and even collapsed lungs, the report said.
Published online on Monday in Pediatrics, the report said at least 30 teens nationwide needed medical attention after taking the challenge last year.