Demolition continues at scene of missing Florida sinkhole victim
SEFFNER, Fla. (REUTERS) - Demolition crews resumed work on Monday at a Tampa-area home where a sinkhole opened last week underneath a bedroom, swallowing a man asleep in his bed.
Jeff Bush, 37, was declared "presumed dead" by Hillsborough County officials on Sunday as rescue workers abandoned any hope of recovering his body.
The goal on Monday was to demolish the rest of the house before efforts will begin to stabilise the sinkhole, said William Puz, a spokesman for Hillsborough County. The hole was about 9 metres wide and (18 metres deep and filled with clay and debris. It is unlikely that Bush's body will ever be retrieved, officials said.
Two nearby houses have been evacuated because the sinkhole has weakened the ground underneath them, and their residents probably will never be allowed inside again, said Jessica Damico of Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.