Death toll from Beirut car bombing climbs to 27: Ministry
BEIRUT (AFP) - The death toll from a car bombing that ripped through a Beirut stronghold of the Lebanese Shi'ite movement Hizbollah has risen to at least 27, the Health Ministry said on Saturday.
The toll is the highest in Lebanon since a massive car bomb attack on the Beirut seafront killed then Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri and 22 others in February 2005.
"At least 27 people died and 336 others were wounded in the car bomb attack that targeted the Rweiss neighbourhood on Thursday," the office of Health Minister Ali Hassan Khalil said.
An earlier toll on Friday said at least 22 people had been killed when an explosives-packed car blew up in the densely populated mostly Shi'ite district in Beirut's southern suburbs.