Cluster bombs used in South Sudan: UN's Ban
Published on Feb 13, 2014 12:25 AM
UNITED NATIONS (AFP) - UN leader Ban Ki-moon condemned Wednesday what he said was the use of cluster bombs in the war in South Sudan.
Remnants of this kind of weapon were found last week by UN de-mining workers on a road from the capital Juba to Bor in Jonglei state, a UN statement said.
Launched from the ground or dropped from the air, cluster bombs split open before impact to scatter multiple bomblets over a wide area. As many fail to explode on impact, they remain dangerous for months.
The statement made no mention of which side or sides in the South Sudan war was using cluster bombs.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!