Clinton takes responsibility for handling of Libya attack
Published on Oct 16, 2012 8:51 AM
LIMA, (AFP) - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told US media on Monday that she will take the blame for any shortcomings in the handling of an attack last month on the US mission in the Libyan city of Benghazi.
"I take responsibility," she said, according to news networks CNN and Fox, which interviewed her during a visit to the Peruvian capital Lima.
President Barack Obama has come under fire from his critics over the attack, which left four Americans dead, and Clinton's move will be seen as an attempt to take the heat off him three weeks before he bids for re-election.
On September 11th heavily-armed militants stormed the consulate compound in Benghazi and attacked an annex housing US personnel, killing four Americans including the American ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!