Briton killed in Libya named, family 'devastated'
Published on Jan 4, 2014 8:50 PM
LONDON (AFP) - A British man shot dead in Libya was named by the Foreign Office on Saturday as Mr Mark De Salis, an energy industry engineer who had worked in Tripoli for six years.
It said his family was "shocked and devastated" by the discovery on Thursday of his body and that of a New Zealand woman on a beach in Mellitah, near the city of Sabratha, west of the capital.
The woman was his "close friend", the Foreign Office said in a statement, adding that its thoughts were with her family.
Libyan police Colonel Hassen Kamoka said a probe had been launched into the deaths, but that there still were no leads as to who the killers were or their motive.
To continue reading, log in if you are a subscriber
Enjoy 2 weeks of unlimited digital access to The Straits Times. Get your free access now!